Friday, May 18, 2007

Week 10 Tutorial

The first three exercises in this tutorial were very basic. As a student I've had to change the style of the font, double space the text, and add headers and footers for many of my essays. I found the advanced exercises new but not exactly challenging. I had never used the track changes button before and it was kind of cool to see the effects it had on the text. The mail merge button was not something I had used before and is not something I can see myself using in the future. While I understand that it may be convenient for someone who is constantly having to send letters to different companies and needs all the information on file, I don't really have any need for it in my daily life. It is easier to just write the name of the person and all their information directly into the document instead of putting it in a saved list and then having to cut and paste the correct <> to where it is needed in the document.

I did not have any problems in performing any of the exercises, though the last one with the mail merge was a bit tedious and annoying. Though I did find the exercises easy I know it is just because I am familiar with Microsoft Word since I use it so much. Word is a great tool for any student. Some of the features that I like that were not mentioned in this tutorial are the highlighting feature and the ability to change the color of the text. When I am organizing an essay and I have lots of journal articles and information I find that by color coding the author it is much easier for referencing and organization. The highlighting feature also allows me to highlight areas of my essay that are incomplete as a reminder to myself to go back later and fix them.

The end of Existenz was really wild. I started guessing towards the end, when everything started changing really quick that the entire movie was part of the game. It made sense because all of the characters, even from the begining, always shouted "Death to the demoness Allegra Geller" Once the scences started changing so quick it took away the feeling of it being too seperate worlds and made it seem as it was all part of the game. I LOVED the way it ended. The chinese guys question was the same one the audience had "Are we still in the Game?" The line between virtual reality and actual reality seemed so blurred in the movie that it was almost frightening. Could society come to a point where we know longer know where one reality begins and another ends? Trippy

No comments: