Thursday, March 8, 2007

Week 2

Hey my name is Marlena Mitrik. I am a Biology/Chemistry major at the University of Miami. I've been studying for the past year at Griffith University and I'm really enjoying my time here in Australia. Most of my interests have to do with sports. I'm a HUGE baseball fan, Yankees of course cause there the only team worth talking about, and I've been playing on a state softball team which travels around the country since I was 11. I also love football, which Australians apparently call grit iron. I used to keep the team stats in high school and I play on a club flag football team for my Uni. There are many little differences between Australia and the States but I find that the differences in sports is what I miss most about home.

As for the class, I'm not quite sure what to think about it so far. I'm taking this class purely as an elective, mostly because it sounds interesting and I wouldn't get the opportunity to take a class like this at home. I know it's important to learn about the history of a subject first, but I never really enjoyed history and I'm finding the class to be dragging a bit. Looking at the outline I'm really looking forward to week 5 and beyond where we get into specific topics of interest to do with communication technology. While the lecture might be a bit dry, I really enjoyed the screening of Alphaville. I had no idea that the movie 12 Monkeys came from a pre-existing idea. 12 Monkeys is one of my favorite movies of all time and watching La Jeete was really enlightening.

Communication studies and technology is an essential subject to learn about. I am planning on going into the medical profession and communication will be an important part of my duties. Back in the States there is a campaign to stop smoking which uses shock tactics to show people the effects of smoking. The medical community has taken to using commercials and the media to help relay these important messages. Technology has advanced the medical community in leaps and bounds. However, as important as I know communication technology to be for my career, my aim for this class is to learn about communication technology on a more personal level to use in everyday life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sitting next to "hello"

good luck with ur next log in and keep up the good work.

- Jayson

Microh said...

Marlena

Good to see that you are up and running on your blog. I thought some of your comments regarding the class and lecturers were interesting.

Based on some of my previous study and practical work experience, I probably would have received an exemption for this subject. I enrolled however because I think I will gain some good practical tips regarding technology rather than an academic learning.

Regards
Michelle

Lauren said...

Hey looks like your pretty good at these blogs. Not so sure about that Yankees are the only team worth following comment though. I think you made a typo. You meant the SF Giants. Or maybe you meant the Oakland A's. Careful about you're typing, may be something you need to work on..you dont want to piss off the entire Bay Area!!! haha.